Sunday 13 May 2012

The bitterest pill (I ever had to swallow) by The Jam



This was released as a single in September of 1982 and was the penultimate single by The Jam.  The band was Paul Weller plus Bruce Foxton and Rick Butler and they must rank as one of the most consistent bands of the late 70's and early 80's with a string of hits and so, so British too.  So much so that none of their singles was released in the USA.

I've always been a big fan of this song and I actually find it really sad, and it is likely to induce a tear or two.  Part of this I am sure is that I always feel it is the end of an era with The Jam, and I regard this as their swansong rather than Beat Surrender a few months later.



  Fantastic lyrics too, the song is basically about a guy who has fallen for a girl only to find himself standing watching as she marries another.Paul Weller deserves so much credit for his lyrics, and for a guy who arose out of punk, he writes a really from the heart love song as well as anyone.

"In your white lace and your wedding bells
You look the picture of contented new wealth
But from the on-looking fool who believed your lies
I wish this grave would open up and swallow me alive
For the bitterest pill is hard to swallow
The love I gave hangs in sad coloured, mocking shadows"

The song title was also adopted by one of my favourite podcasters, Dan Klass from The Bitterest Pill podcast, who is a massive Jam and Weller fan.  This first post is for you Dan!

As you can see, no big production on the video!

Here is the original version.  This is nice too.



Not too many decent covers out there strangely, but I did like this.


So there we are, a great memory from 1982.  Many, many more to come

No comments:

Post a Comment