Saturday 8 September 2012

1999 by Prince


This all time classic single was released by Prince 30 years ago in September 1982.  Wow, 30 years ago...It was from the album of the same name.  The song is somewhat apocalyptic  but quite upbeat too.  Back in 1982, 1999 seemed a long way away.

It is 30 years ago, but I swear this song does not age, but the same can be said of a lot of Prince's music, he is timeless and is (still) an amazing instrumentalist, writer and singer.


I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray But when I woke up this mornin', could've sworn it was judgment day The sky was all purple, there were people runnin' everywhere Tryin' to run from the destruction, you know I didn't even care
 
Say say two thousand zero zero party over, oops, out of time So tonite I'm gonna party like it's nineteen ninety-nine

The song on release hit number 12 in the USA and number 25 in the UK.  It was re-released in the UK in1985 and hit number 2.  It remains one of Prince's best known songs.

It was also re-released at the end of 1998 to take advantage of the Millenium.





Here's a great acoustic cover version too





No comments:

Post a Comment